Short History

In year 1834, the first Vicariate Apostolic of Bengal was established with its headquarters at Kolkata.
In the year 1840, the first missionary, Fr. Zubiburu, a Spanish Carmelite priest went to Koikhali, a small village along with Mr. Crow, the District Magistrate. They built a catholic community of 278 members; at this time Msgr Patrick Carew was Vicar Apostolic. Now this comes under Raghabpur parish. Owing to bad health he could not continue his work and left the place.
In the year 1859, the Belgian Jesuit missionaries came to Bengal.
In 1868 at the invitation of Kala Chand (Stanislas), Father GoffinetSJ went to a small village called Gokurni near Magra Hat. A few days later in July 1868, he baptized a little girl of six in Magra Hat which was the happy passage for the Christian community in 24 Parganas. From here again Father Goffinet SJ went to Koikhali and continued the missionary work started by the Spanish Carmelite priest, under Msgr. Steins SJ. Father Goffinet SJ lived a saintly life. Some still remember him.. But it was Father E. Delplace SJ the pioneer who went around establishing five mission stations in four years, Raghabpur, Morapai, Basanti, Khari and Baidyapur. (1873-1877). In 1877 Msgr. P. Goethals became the Vicar Apostolic. During this time because of the expansion of the Chotanagpur mission, three Missions were closed and only two were retained, namely Morapai and Raghabpur.
In 1886 the Vicariate Apostolic became the Archdiocese of Calcutta. Under the guidance of Archbishops P. Goethals and B. Meuleman S.J. the Chota Nagpur Mission developed wonderfully, so much so, that in 1927 Ranchi became an independent diocese. Archbishop Perier SJ was at the helm since 1924 and he was to remain so till his resignation in 1960. More attention could then be given to the Bengal Districts. The Yugoslav Jesuit Priests were invited to come to Bengal and to take charge of the 24 Parganas District. That move marked a new start of the Sunderbans’ Mission. Starting from 1925 right up to 1950, 18 Jesuits came from Yugoslavia to work in the Bengal Mission; most of them were posted in the 24 Parganas. They started new mission stations or re-opened old ones, they built churches and chapels and generally, they injected new life in the existing Catholic communities. After the war, unfortunately, the doors were closed and no new missionaries could come in. Later the Belgian Jesuits and Indian priests took over the missions. The tenure of Archbishop V. Dyer (1960-1962) and Archbishop Albert D’Souza (1962-1969) witnessed further divisions of the Archdiocese: the dioceses of Jamshedpur, Darjeeling and Dumka were established. Father L.T. Picachy SJ became the Bishop of Jamshedpur and later Archbishop of Calcutta in 1969 and Cardinal in 1976. In 1978 the Diocese of Baruipur was born.
The Bull of the Diocese is dated May 30, 1977, Bishop Linus Nirmal Gomes was ordained as first Bishop of Baruipur Diocese on Saturday, November 19, 1977 and on Sunday, March 12, 1978, Rev. Fr. Leander D’ Costa, then chancellor of the Archdiocese of Calcutta, gave canonical effect to the Apostolic Letters during a ceremony which took place at St. Stephen the Martyr’s Church, Kalyanpur.
Rt. Rev. Linus Nirmal Gomes SJ tendered his resignation to the Holy Father due to ill health after leading the diocese as a Good Shephered for 18 years. Holy Father accepted his resignation with effect from October 31, 1995. Rev. Fr. Salvadore Lobo was elected the Administrator of the Diocese. He was later appointed the Bishop of Baruipur by the Holy See on Friday, November 14, 1997 and was ordained a Bishop on Thursday, January 29, 1998.

Web Design MymensinghPremium WordPress ThemesWeb Development

Baruipur Diocese

June 6, 2017June 6, 2017

Baruipur Diocese

June 6, 2017

News & Update

June 6, 2017

News Here

February 23, 2017February 23, 2017
Baruipur Diocese.